Drug Class: Pyrazines
- An effective agent that acts as a nucleotide analog that selectively inhibits the visual RNA dependent RNA polymerase.
- Inhibits 53 types of influenza viruses including H1N1 and Ebola.
- Indicated for novel influenza strains that cause more severe disease rather than seasonal influenza.
- An open label non-randomized trial of 80 patients with Covid-19 identified a significant reduction in the time to SARS-COV-2 Viral clearance in patients treated with Favipiravir compared with Lopinavir/ ritonavir.
- It’s a promissory drug for Covid-19 that decreases the hospital stay and the need for mechanical ventilation.
- Safe and effective alternative for hydroxychloroquine in mild to moderate Covid-19 infected patients.