- Class of medications: Antihyperglycemic agents known as meglitinides
- A rapid-acting insulin secretagogue that normalizes postprandial glucose excursions in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients.
- Reduces long-term cardiovascular complications of diabetes mellitus.
- Reduces blood glucose by stimulating insulin release from pancreatic beta-cells.
- Shows additive effects when used in combination with other oral antidiabetic agents.
- Reduces fasting and postprandial hyperglycemia and the level of glycosylated hemoglobin (HbA 1c) in patients with T2DM.
- Its rapid onset and relatively short duration of action allow for flexible meal schedules.
- Equal efficacy to various sulphonylureas with a reduced risk of serious hypoglycemia and weight gain.