Expresso – 1000SR is a fresh constructive formulation which are bilayer tablets prepared by combining an immediate release layer of paracetamol and a sustained release layer of paracetamol.
Immediate Release Paracetamol & Sustained Release Paracetamol
- The immediate release (IR) component releases within the first fifteen minutes and a sustained release (SR) component releases slowly after 15 minutes.
- Suitably the sustained release phase comprises a matrix-forming polymer to provide a sustained release of paracetamol.
- In a randomized study, SR paracetamol taken 3 times daily was statistically and therapeutically non-inferior to IR paracetamol taken 4 times daily in osteoarthritis patients with knee pain.
- SR paracetamol may be more convenient for patients with chronic pain and has the potential to enhance compliance and therefore pain relief.
- The bilayer tablets are prepared for prolonging the patent life of a drug product hence for a good productive release rate.