Montelukast (Leukotriene Receptor Antagonists (LTRAs))
- Montelukast is an antagonist to the leukotriene receptor; is non-sedating, dosed once daily, and has a safety profile similar in adults and children.
- First-line treatment in chronic asthma, particularly effective in asthmatic patients with allergic rhinitis.
- Doxofylline (also called as novofylline) is a newer generation xanthine with both bronchodilating and anti-inflammatory activities, with a better safety profile than that of theophylline.
- Effectively treats patients who suffer lag from moderate to severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease better than salbutamol.
- Doxofylline is an effective anti-inflammatory drug, a property not shared by montelukast.
- Therefore, combination treatment of doxofylline + montelukast gives additional benefits compared to montelukast as monotherapy in treating lung inflammation and lung diseases.