Drug Class: Proton pump inhibitors
- Rabeprazole sodium is a new substituted benzimidazole proton pump inhibitor with several differences compared with existing proton pump inhibitors.
- It is demonstrated rabeprazole is a more potent inhibitor of H+, K+-ATPase, and acid secretion than omeprazole.
- Inhibits gastric acid secretion in a dose-dependent fashion; is a more rapid inhibitor of proton pumps than omeprazole, lansoprazole, or pantoprazole.
- Has antibacterial activity against H. pylori that is more potent than the activity of either omeprazole or lansoprazole.
Drug Class: Gastroprokinetic agent, gastrokinetic agent
- Itopride is a novel prokinetic agent that works by antagonizing dopamine D2-receptors and inhibiting acetylcholinesterase.
- It not only stimulates the release of acetylcholine but also inhibits its degradation, thus promoting gastrointestinal motility.
- In a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, itopride significantly improved symptoms in patients with FD, and showed a greater rate of response than placebo.
- It does not cause any CNS-related adverse drug reactions because its high polarity does not allow it to cross the blood-brain barrier.