Ambroxol (Aromatic amine)
Drug class: Mucolytic agent
- Ambroxol is a metabolite of bromhexine is frequently used as a mucolytic agent in respiratory diseases.
- Used for the treatment of sore throat and pharyngitis associated with a common cold.
Guaiphenesin (Guaiacol glyceryl ether)
Drug class: Expectorants
- An OTC cough remedy that assists the expectoration of phlegm from the airways in acute respiratory tract infections by increasing the volume and reducing the viscosity of secretions in the trachea and bronchi.
- It also stimulates the flow of respiratory tract secretions, allowing ciliary movement to carry the loosened secretions upward toward the pharynx.
Phenylephrine HCI (A direct-acting sympathomimetic amine)
Drug class: Nasal decongestants
- Phenylephrine is a selective α1-adrenergic receptor agonist used primarily as a decongestant.
- Phenylephrine is marketed as a substitute for the decongestant pseudoephedrine, though clinical studies differ regarding phenylephrine’s effectiveness in this role.
Chlorpheniramine Maleate (Halogenated amine)
Drug class: Antihistamine
- A histamine H1 antagonist used in allergic reactions, hay fever, rhinitis, urticaria, and asthma.
- It is also effective against nausea and motion sickness, with its primary mechanism of action being its ability to reduce acetylcholine levels in the brain.
- Causes a marked change in nasal sensation of airflow with a subjective sensation of nasal decongestion in subjects suffering from nasal congestion associated with the common cold.